Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Called to serve.

Dear Sister Sagers,

You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Korea Daejeon Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months.

You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, July 27, 2011. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Korean language.

 --------------------------------------------

I arrived home from school at 6 PM and barely even wanted to look at the huge white envelope on my counter. I couldn't--it was just too much. I couldn't begin to fathom that the next eighteen months of my life would be decided by the contents of a single letter. And I couldn't let myself make a single guess. Sure, places and languages flitted in and out of my mind, dissolving almost as soon as they took shape--Italy, Hong Kong, Brazil, Taiwan, Washington, Texas, Massachusetts--but I wouldn't let myself make a single guess. There was a huge question mark in my mind where my mission call was and I wanted to keep it that way. I didn't want to put my hopes in the wrong place because I knew wherever I was sent would be perfect for me.

When people started pouring into my house, bubbling over with their guesses and congratulations and compliments, I started to get a little nervous. They asked, "Don't you just want to open it right now?" and I replied, "No. Actually, I don't even want to look at it." But as soon as I stood up in front of my fireplace, surrounded by family and friends, I felt extremely calm. I'm an emotional person, and I always expected to break into tears when I read my mission call out loud, especially to a crowd. But to my surprise I felt entirely collected and at peace. I opened the letter, pulled out the papers, and immediately snuck a quick glance at the place. I couldn't help but grin from ear to ear when I saw Korea--and then I began to read. I still can't believe it. And I am so entirely happy.

1 comment:

Faith Simonsen said...

Yea yeah! Still very excited about this!