Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Naturalistic fallacy.

"I disappointed myself by finding our perfectly pleasant lunch with perfectly pleasant people inadequate. Why would I have preferred a fight? . . . You would have no time for my nit-picking about how wasn't the luncheon a little bland, didn't you have this feeling like, what's the point, isn't there something flat and plain and doughy about this whole routine . . . These were good people and they had been good to us and we had therefore had a good time. To conclude otherwise was frightening, raising the specter of some unnamable quantity without which we could not abide, but which we could not summon on demand, least of all by proceeding in virtuous accordance with an established formula" (Lionel Shriver, "We Need to Talk About Kevin," 17-18).

I'm sick of the thousands of people I meet who seem to share the same opinion/religion/color/style/ideology/outlook as I do. Regardless of whether or not I agree with what others do, they must exist, and we must interact. I need to be friends with people I think are illogical, crazy, bad, different, and whatever else I don't consider myself to be, because that's what I am to them. And that's how it should be. Conformity is slowly suffocating all of us, but no individual can realize he is dying until it is too late to save the rest.

2 comments:

腰痠 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Coswig said...

I completely agree with the conformity thought (I will be so happy when summer comes around and I get a change of scenery!), but the longer I stay in Happy Valley - that is, pretty much my whole life - the more I realize I'm not like everybody else...