Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Thanks.

I went to the ophthalmologist on Wednesday afternoon. After waiting in his office for a full hour, the medical assistant finally called me back into an exam room. She tested my eyesight and took a quick history, and then she said, "Here's an eye drop. The doctor will be in shortly." She gathered her things and prepared to leave. Suddenly, I felt all tense, and then all tingly. It was as sudden as if I'd been given an IV. "Oh my gosh," I thought. "She drugged me." I knew that was irrational, but I could not explain the way my body was reacting. My limbs became heavy and slow, and I felt my thoughts involuntarily clouding over. I was literally paralyzed with fear. My sympathetic nervous system was going haywire, and my brain was racing to keep up. What if I am strongly allergic to something in that eye drop? What if this is anaphylaxis? What is happening to me?

"Um, am I supposed to feel all...heavy?" I managed to mumble through my neurological haze.
"Oh, it's a numbing eye drop," she called, walking out.

DEAR ASSISTANT, PLEASE INFORM ME BEFORE ADMINISTERING POWERFUL INTRAOCULAR ANESTHETICS.
THX, JESSICA.

No comments: