Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Confidence.

Today was a very good skating day! My practice is starting to pay off, and it didn't take me nearly as long as usual to feel comfortable on the ice.
My two-foot spins were pretty, if a little slow.
My pivots, strokes (push with the foot!), swizzles, and one-foot/two-foot glides were smooth.
My chasses in a circle were fun.
I made progress toward a backward crossover--aligning my feet toe to heel before I shift my weight will help (and remembering to always step outside to inside).
My stops were nice (but I need to practice throwing my weight onto my left foot).
AND, I learned a new turn: a forward to backward half-rotation, with knees bent, straight, then bent, while keeping my arms in the same position. The key is to move quickly and with confidence--if you scare yourself, hold back mid-cruise, and don't throw all of your weight, you'll fall.
I've learned (if not mastered) all Adult 2 maneuvers in record time, and now am officially an Adult 3! :-)

It's funny; since there are so few adults on the ice during lesson time, and since 90% of adults on the ice are college-age (or slightly older) teachers, children often mistake me for an instructor. One precious, ponytailed five-year-old tugged on my pant leg tonight and sweetly asked if it was time for her to get on the ice yet. Another little boy asked, "How do you do that?" after I demonstrated a snowplow stop (one of the few things I've worked hard enough on to have mastered!) and asked if I would teach him.

I'm also getting to know my classmates a little better. I skate with two older, male BYU professors (chemistry & econ?), a girl whose roommate is my ex-student, and one precocious high school girl. An eclectic mix, to be sure.

I really did feel comfortable and confident on the ice today, and I hope that feeling continues. :-)

To Work On:
One-foot backward glides & progressive steps toward a backward crossover
Chasses, forward and backward
Two-foot spins (pivots, too) and quick front-to-back turns at high speed, straight and on a curve

I worked today, too, as a consultant and as a PT receptionist, and made some almost-final strides in organizing my room. I'm working 8 hours tomorrow. And P.S., I can't BELIEVE there wasn't a new Lost episode tonight. Honestly. Do they think I live for anything else?

One year ago today, I left for Jerusalem. I'm different because I went, and for that I am grateful. :-)

No comments: