Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Speech impediment.

Is it weird that all I do when I have free time is sleep?
I mean, every so often I hang out with my friends or family, but most of the time I miss their calls/texts because I'm sleeping. Whenever (and I mean whenever) I'm not working (for school/job/internship/etc.), I'm sleeping. Take this weekend, for example. On Friday, I came home from school and slept for seven straight hours, ignoring six texts and a few calls in the process. Yesterday, I slept all DAY (literally; I woke up at 4:30 pm), but went out to dinner/watched a movie with friends in the night. Today, I went to my cousin's early church for an hour, came home, fell asleep, and woke up at 5 pm to do homework.

Oh, man. I've got to find a hobby.

I've also got to start studying for HOSA state. I'm competing in Pathophysiology (knowledge test), Medical Terminology, and Job Seeking Skills. I'm only doing that last one because I suck at interviewing, so I'm taking any chance I get to practice.
I definitely have the best chance of placing in Med Terms, like last year. If I don't place (top 3), I'll be seriously humiliated, and my teacher will be seriously disappointed--I placed 2nd at state and made the top ten at nationals last year, so I'd better make nationals again or I'll have to hide under a rock or something. Terminology isn't that difficult, though, and the knowledge of Latin roots I've acquired through competing has been invaluable, so I should be okay. I think.

More than anything, I want to learn to speak.
I'm kind of verbally inarticulate, which seriously sucks. I get self-conscious when I talk in front of a group, so I keep my public words short and sometimes painfully unexplained. I know people who can talk things out and come to an intelligent conclusion in front of a group, and I can't think of a skill I want more. All I can think when I start talking are things to this effect: "No one wants to listen to you speak. You're going on for too long. You aren't using intelligent words. Cut it short. People are losing interest." This totally consumes my train of thought, which just makes what I say more confusing and unintelligible. I hate it. I'm looking to take a speech class or something during the summer so I can come across well in college, but I haven't found anything yet.

Summer goals:
Join a research lab.
Spend all possible time in the library (knowledge gained through reading > school).
(Read Machiavelli's The Prince for the class I'm taking on it)
Learn to speak.
Learn shorthand (Gregg Millennium style); it's awesome.

Those shouldn't be too hard to accomplish, right?

No comments: