Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Monday, January 5, 2009

First impressions.

Initial assumptions (to be continued tomorrow with my TTh classes).

Intro to Microbiology: Professor explains the class as a "warm and fuzzy" introduction to the subject, and the first two weeks will be spent "reviewing basic chemistry." Augh. FAR too easy, but it'll be four more credits of AMCAS "A" for my burgeoning premedical resume...

Chemistry 2: 300-person lecture hall packed to the eaves. I'm lucky my micro class got out early so I could get a decent seat--my university's most popular chemistry teacher is getting a lot of futile add requests. Looks fun, though; I can see why this guy's said to be so good, and I did learn a little something about reaction rates.

Anatomy: Ah, anatomy revisited! I'm bored so far, and my teacher didn't show. I answered a few of the TA's questions about ultrasonography, but spaced out through the lengthy discussion of directional terms. I think terminology should be a given at this point; I'm not in this class to practice proximal-distal, I'm here to learn specifics.

English (Critical Theory): I'm thrilled to start this novel-based introduction to literary criticism, and I'm not as intimidated by the liberal arts majors as I thought I might be (most I've met previously are just loud and not-necessarily-intelligently opinionated). My teacher speaks well and (surprisingly) has a fascinating background in pharmacology.


Explaining my presence in my lit class was the most entertaining activity I've participated in all day; after three consecutive science classes, I found myself swallowed in a sea of liberal arts kids. English, English Teaching, and Psychology are all common majors against which my Microbiology sounds pleasantly discordant. And all it took was listening to my articulate English professor to feel my non-scientific vocabulary begin to grow back. Furthermore, I correctly identified a Petrarchan sonnet and commented on its "classic inevitability," and I felt revitalized.
I think I'm going to like this semester.

No comments: