Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Converse.

Comments in English class are incredibly nebulous; it's partially for this reason I'm glad I'm not a liberal arts major. Anything at all can be said, as long as you use classically English-teacher-approved vocabulary and allude to some sort of universal/overarching theme. From there, anything goes, because half of what you're saying levels out to just words for words' sake. When an English major raises his or her hand during a discussion, you'd better prep yourself for a "thoughtful" discourse in which you'll discard 75% of what is said to unearth his or her actual point, which could have been stated in one simple sentence. One might declaim, "In Henry James' Daisy Miller, my sympathies lie with Daisy herself, because she is a misunderstood pawn that society has sculpted into the quintessential American girl, lost in a world that takes her for granted because she is beautiful. I'm not sure, but when I read Daisy, her every line reminds me that she is not what she could be; we cannot blame her for her actions because the initial fault lies with society," when all he or she means is "Society takes Daisy for granted because she is pretty." I don't have a problem with sculpted sentences or aesthetic word choice; on the contrary, I embrace both. I just think I'd go mad if I had to listen to sophistic pandering like that all the time. They speak to use vocabulary and articulate a tiny detail they've found to impress the professor, without really having anything at all to contribute.

Conversely, in Parasitology class, if I am called on, I'd better know that the infectious life stage of Fasciola hepatica is metacercariae or that the clinical presentation for acute infection is characterized by tender hepatomegaly, slight fever, and anemia. We don't mince words in science. Thank goodness.

No comments: