Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Lately.

I've wanted to post multiple times this week, but I seem to get bogged down in homework and/or apathy before I can write anything of substance. (Not that this post counts.)

Lately, I've been...
  • Writing summer research applications like you wouldn't believe. I spent seven straight hours yesterday writing essays, consolidating recommendation requests, and organizing application materials. I swear, if I don't get in SOMEwhere, another goose is going to find its way into Fabio's face.
  • Enjoying a red velvet cupcake! and chocolate-strawberry frappe! ("Love Potion") from this new place on University Parkway. A group of promotion guys recruited my apartment to come to the grand opening, and I'm so glad we went. The roomies and I even made their website! Well, kind of. In the 6th pic down on the Jan. 9 post, Amanda is ordering, you can see J♥ in the background, and you can catch a glimpse of my hair under the worker's chin. We're famous.
  • Watching my mom arrest an angry old man who yelled at my little brother during a BYU basketball game. My mom's extremely protective of her children, and all it took was for her to see this old guy grab my little brother and yell at him to sit down (with the rest of the crowd, he stood up to cheer after someone nailed an impossible 3) to march right over there in front of the whole stadium with two cops. According to them, she yelled, "DON'T YOU TOUCH MY SON!" twice before the cop had to yell, "BACK OFF, MA'AM!" I'm impressed.
  • Liking my classes. My Shoah class is possibly the best class I've had at BYU so far, and I'm loving Arabic despite daily personal humiliation (he's that kind of teacher). But in the words of Bright Eyes, "Your eyes must do some raining / If you're ever gonna grow." Besides, I'm a masochist. I can take it. Or at least, I think I can. Even Physics doesn't seem so bad. However, I haven't had my optics lab yet (ugh).
  • Sleeping. A lot. Whenever I'm not in class, and then some. With my iPod in. In my soft pink Snuggie. In weeeiiird positions (as usual). My roommates are entertained by my flexibility and often take pictures. I think this is why I have to make myself busy in life. If I don't, I'm liable to sleep ALL FREAKING DAY. And have pictures taken of me with my legs around my neck, which may then be uploaded to Facebook to subsequently deter future employers. Except circus execs. Consider these pics my contortionist application.
  • Applying for a second job. As I said, all this unfilled time is making me crazy. I applied to my favorite Provo restaurant, Spark, but I'm 99.99% sure I won't get in. There were tons of applicants with tons of restaurant experience, and I--well, I don't have any. One plus, though--I may be denied the job, but to apply, I had to memorize every obscure ingredient on the menu. I can now define "tamarind," "aioli," "beurre blanc," and "pepitas." Worth the humiliation of a really bad interview? I think so.
Sorry. I really do have some intelligent things to say. I'll get to them. Sometime.

No comments: