Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Friday, December 12, 2008

Fulfilled.

(cue Beatles): Today I woke up
Got out of bed
Dragged a comb across my head...

I dressed professionally, in a black suit jacket and pants with my hair perfectly straightened, and went off to an 8 AM meeting with my new major advisor. At 9, I hurried over to a three-hour chemistry review session with my professor and some TAs, and at 12, I grabbed a front row seat to a calculus review. For some reason, by the fifth hour of reviewing everything I'd learned in this semester for my two most intensive classes, I could no longer keep my eyes open, and I'm sure I looked ridiculous trying to take decent notes. It was like everything hit me at once, and I almost literally ran out of the room, because I was in severe need of a break. Not just any break, though--I needed sleep. NOW. But where was I going to go? I was sure the library was packed for finals, and I couldn't think of anywhere else big enough to hold me comfortably, because I was not looking for your typical curl-up-in-a-chair-for-ten-minutes sleep. I needed sprawl-out-dead-to-the-world sleep, and if I did not voluntarily reach a comatose state within the next five minutes, I knew I would probably involuntarily reach one anyway. I scanned my surroundings from the doorway of the Talmage building and spotted the JKB. A snapshot of a third floor window nook flashed across my mind, and I ran to catch up with my memory. Though the stairs would have taken thirty seconds, I waited for the elevator. At this point, I wasn't going to risk anything. Zooming out of the elevator, I saw it and almost cried. There, in a little outcropping, lay the most perfect nap couch I could have ever asked for. It was bathed in midafternoon sunlight and faced an entire wall of window. I shot out past a guy who I think might have been making his own leisurely way to the couch and absolutely CRASHED. I mean, I threw down my stuff and drove my face into the pillows, sprawling my arms and legs over the sides and zipping my eyelids shut in grateful relaxation. I entwined my fingers around the handles to my laptop case and my purse (hey, I was desperate, but that wouldn't stop me from being practical) and had just enough time to enjoy the tingling warmth released by the millions of photons bouncing off my body before I slipped into what I can only term a perfect slumber.

I awoke an hour and half later, entirely content, and now I am ready to study for finals.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat!

Get some sleep, foo'!

& good luck on finals (though they're probably over by now)!