Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Monday, October 20, 2008

Consternation.

I'm not sure what I want to do this summer.
Therefore, I present to you my options:

1- Study abroad in Jerusalem
2- Research internship at a different university
3- Stick around, take spring term classes, TA for bio and work in the lab

AUGH.

Pros for 1:
Four months in Jerusalem. ENOUGH SAID.
Makes for sweet interview material/resume builder.
I'd get to learn and speak a language (Arabic or Hebrew).
Cons:
I can't make money (my parents would pay, but I wouldn't earn anything).
Random drawing determines which applicants merit an interview.
I'd be gone for four months...no real "summer."

Pros for 2:
Awesome and looks great on a med school resume.
Ten weeks, paid ($4000).
I'd get to live alone in another state.
Cons:
Intensely competitive. I am a lowly freshman, and my GPA right now is "not applicable;" I haven't even finished a full semester yet, so I have little to no chance of landing a spot.
I plan to do things like this the summers after my sophomore and junior years; why start now if I have other options?

Pros for 3:
I make money.
I stick around, so I can see my family and the Friendship.
I get to go on vacations.
I move up in the lab hierarchy.
Cons:
Simply not as cool.
Doesn't build my resume.

I CAN'T DECIDE.
Of course, I want #1 the most, but I need to be making money...
And #2 sounds great, but I will be doing that for two years anyway...
And #3 has its good points, too, even though it is less exciting.

No comments: