Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

La dia fantastica.

Today was one of the BEST DAYS EVER.
I think it was because when I was in Salt Lake this morning, I went out of my way to buy a bracelet supporting a little girl who has leukemia.
KARMA WORKS, PEOPLE.

As mentioned, I spent most of the day in SLC with my mom. We shopped for Jordan's and Emmy's new uniforms at this expensive little standardized shop that sold only specifically named plaids (ours, I believe, was called Columbia, and the only thing separating it from Maribel was four small red stitches to the right of each hunter green square). The place was filled with anxious, ultraconservative private-school parents and their repressed little children, cowering in elastic-waistband khakis. I reminded my mom that she probably didn't want to rejoin this sick social sphere, but she's putting the kids in Conformity Central anyway. Emmy's jumper (for "dress day," a biweekly occasion) was $45. That's more than I paid for the dress I bought yesterday. Ridiculous.

We ate lunch at the cafe in the Little America hotel (try the rainbow sherbet!) before driving up to the University hospital to visit my grandma in rehab. Don't worry, it's inpatient orthopedic rehab, not the substance abuse kind. Her therapist was short an aide, so I got to help with a few things, which was fun. It was refreshing to be back in a hospital.

On our way back to Provo, I said to my mom, "Do you know what I want for dinner? Sushi!" She hates sushi, so she just laughed. BUT, when we got home, my dad said, "I have a surprise for you."
Do you know what it was?
SUSHI!
At that moment, I was one hundred percent elated.

THEN, I went to Borders for a few hours, because I still had one gift card left over from graduation. I sat down with four books, read one, and bought three. The one I finished was "The Perks of Being a Wallflower," which was on my list for the summer. It was the angsty-teenage kind of engaging, which kept me mildly interested, but I really expected more from it. I liked the sentence structure and epistolary stream-of-consciousness style, though. It's a series of letters written from a 15-year-old's perspective, and whatever he thinks, he writes. There was some nice imagery that I could identify with (about passing through a tunnel, if you've read it), and every so often the speaker would wax eloquent about other aspects of life, but I wish there was more of that type of thing and less of the moody storyline.

What I like most about reading is the opportunity to watch someone think.

THEN, I saw "Get Smart" with my mom. It was entertaining, but not anything I'd overtly recommend. Dollar movie? For sure.

Sorry to make this post so sequential and diary-esque, but my day was absolutely wonderful, and I just couldn't help but immortalize it! :-)

No comments: