Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Haunting.

This choral arrangement haunts me. It captivated me for the first time at a BYU Women's Chorus concert, and then I happened to catch the last strains of that same concert on local radio a few weeks ago. I've been searching for the piece ever since, and this is the only trace of it I can find on the Internet. It's about a mother mourning her dead baby girl, and it's simply unforgettable.

To listen, take this link and scroll down to the very bottom of the page. Play the song called "Under the Willow She's Sleeping." You won't regret it.

Under the Willow She's Sleeping
Stephen Foster ("father of American music," check him out)

Under the willow she's laid with care
(Sang a lone mother while weeping,)
Under the willow, with golden hair,
My little one's quietly sleeping.

Chorus:
Fair, fair, and golden hair
(Sang a lone mother while weeping,)
Fair, fair, and golden hair
Under the willow she's sleeping.

Under the willow no songs are heard
Near where my daughter lies dreaming;
Naught but the voice of some far off bird
Where life and its pleasures are beaming.
Chorus.

Under the willow by night and day
Sorrowing ever I ponder;
Free from its shadowy, gloomy ray
Ah! never again can she wander.
Chorus.

Under the willow I breathe a prayer
Longing to linger forever
Near to my angel with golden hair
In lands where there's sorrowing never.
Chorus.

No comments: