Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Slap.

Okay, I believe curse words preclude both eloquence and professionalism. But there's one truth I need to get out there, and it can only be captured by one sociolinguistic characterization. There are not many things out there that I really get incensed about. But bad grammar is one of them.
And I am a flaming bitch of an editor.

I like words to be correct. Perfectly correct. Eloquently, stylistically, fabulously correct. In fact, I am so careful with words that watching someone else throw them around is like dragging my eyeballs over hot coals. So I edit with all of the subtlety and all of the rage of a prizefighting bull trapped in a china shop with nothing to eat but crack cocaine. Misused relative clause? Unnecessary passive voice? Struggling syntax? Don't just expect correction. Expect a SMACKDOWN.

In reality, though, my passion for liberating texts (the Form II Arabic verb حرر means both "to edit" and "to liberate;" you've seen the verbal noun of this verb, تحرير, in the news lately: Tahrir Square) can seriously get out of hand. Whenever I edit term papers for my parasitology students I always have to send them a follow-up e-mail explaining that my direct and often ruthless comments aren't meant to be rude. I never expected this compulsion to display cross-linguistic carryover, as I'm absolutely not so sharply skilled in Arabic composition as I am in English, but on two separate occasions I have gone Rambo on fellow Arabic students' texts (in class, mind you; this is public) and had to apologize afterward. I dare you to make me react the way I do when I'm editing in any other situation--I know for a fact you won't be able to push me into it. But show me a misconjugated verb, a mixed metaphor, and a misspelled relator pronoun, and HULK SMASH!

This fits perfectly into my life's current theoretical framework:

2 comments:

Katie Cannon said...

Reading your blog makes me happy. If you could lend me some intelligence it would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Faith Simonsen said...

Katie Cannon? Hi.

To jess- I literally imagined you as the hulk editing papers. It was a great visual. Also with deep red ink. Perhaps tearing some papers with your teeth. Throwing your head up and laughing evilly a few times. It also made me quite happy.