Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Meh.

I splashed into finals week today, submerging myself in physics and surfacing only to breathe in my perfect score. I love the little Testing Center messages when you're flawless. Congratulations! Perfect Score! Wonderful! They're very gratifying. I think I'd be even happier with my score, though, if I cared for physics at all. My physics class is a great example of why I'm sick of university-level science. It's huge, and the only reason I even come to class is for the iClicker quizzes and because I can't help but hold onto some stupid hope that one day, I will learn something I couldn't have gotten faster from an equation sheet. I space out or do other homework while jotting down necessary equations, and then I do all my homework right before the online deadline and don't think about the material until the exam rolls around. I've never had a physics class, so I guess I'm "learning" how to do physics, but believe me, I'm not learning anything. I learn through discussion, through intellectual arguments and trial and error and hands on work. Formulaic estimations get me nowhere. Ugh.

FACT 1: I love science. Pathophysiology gets me so excited I can barely form complete sentences.
FACT 2: Science classes suck. They're huge and no one cares about you. Plus, pre-meds annoy the crap out of me. And no, I'm not pre-med per se; I'm pre-MD/PhD. The difference is FACT 1.
FACT 3: English classes suck even more than science classes, which is why I'm an English minor and not an English major. If I haven't posted about this recently, get ready for the Airing of Grievances (Festivus?), because I have two English classes next semester.
FACT 4: Arabic classes rock.

Arabic has catalyzed my intellectual expansion for the first time in years; through intensively studying a non-Latin, non-traditional language, my volume of knowledge has honestly ballooned. I've cruised along in math and science classes for too long without really having to give much thought to anything, but in Arabic, time spent in class doesn't consist of someone telling me things I already know.

I also had a job interview today. I don't know whether they liked me or not. I talked too much, I think.

No comments: