Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Irked.

Generally, I like BYU.
This past week, though, we had an evolution unit in my bio class, and I was reminded why I didn't want to be here. The teacher prefaced the 'discussion' with a lengthy disclaimer about reconciling science and religion, and then opened it up to the class. It's not that I mind discussing evolution--on the contrary, I think it's interesting and definitely worth explaining. Much to my dismay, our conversation quickly swung from fascinating areas of structural homology to controversial religious hearsay, and I was sad to hear my colleagues ask questions like "What do we think about this?"

I mean, what a question.
Listen to yourselves.
What do we think??
Wake up, sheeple!

Look. I am religious. Very religious, by some standards. However, I cannot emphasize this enough--no one is telling me what to think. And no one should. Religion is the result of a conscious personal choice. "We" don't think anything. My religion is not based on people telling other people what to do. If you take part in my religion, you understand that each person thinks for themselves, and you can take the alignment of our thinking on some issues as a sign that God really does reveal truth. Okay? Whatever you do, don't ask someone else what you should think. Ever. (insert Gob Bluth: COME on.)

In other news, I got my third perfect score (on a bio exam I barely even looked over material for). :-) I have another calculus test and a Book of Mormon test coming up this week, and I am not excited. I'm sick of tests. I've learned that in college, you really do have to do well on every single test. There is no room for failure or even mediocrity. This does horrible things to my nerves, no matter how prepared I am.

No comments: