Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dude.


This is an online chemistry teacher. I don't know his name, his age, or his story, but I spend all day with him. I know when he gets a haircut and when he has a cold. It's my current task (for this job) to watch, caption, organize, and take a screenshot of every single one of his (dozens upon dozens upon dozens of) chemistry teaching videos. If I ever see this dude in real life one of us has to drop dead, because there's no way we can exist in the same place at the same time. I mean, I know the contents of his entire closet.

Also, does anyone hate the dynamic of a class with adult students (older than the professor)?
Each of my history classes is blessed with one obnoxious old person (one, an at-least-forty-five-year-old woman who tries to dress like she fits in--tons of makeup, cutesy newsboy hats, sparkly scarves, the works--and another, a random fiftyish-year-old man). The man's okay, but the woman raises her hand all the time, creating awkward situations for our professor, who tries to listen to her comments with the respect due another adult's opinion (a problem in and of itself) while keeping her from overgeneralizing and vehemently asserting things that simply aren't true. Fact is, you're wrong, lady, and if you weren't old he'd shut you down. We're sick of hearing you blab on about things our relatively young professor has to back up and correct while trying his hardest not to offend you.

I'm having a huge phase with this song. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Jessica Lynn said...

Well. His name is Steven Haderlie. He is kind of old, just had his first grandchild and lives in Payson, UT. He teaches chemistry at Springville High. He was my teacher. This post was funny. He is the greatest. I love him, we had lots of fun together.

Jessica Elysse said...

Haha, no way! That's awesome!

mathjazz said...

This is one of the benefits of a math class, if someone says things that are patently incorrect, they can be shut down. Only takes a few times and the person won't talk again.

Most of the old students have not been a problem, but there was this old woman in my trig class, way back in the day, that would not shut up and had to have each step of the identities explained several times. Wasted so much lecture time. Eventually the professor decided to not appease this woman anymore and then we would actually get stuff done. The professor would answer just a few comments from her in any period and then say that if there were more questions that we knew her office hours.