Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Melting.

Excerpts from MSNBC's "Brutal Heat Wave to Roast East Again," emphasis added:
(Subtitle: Humidity intensifies misery; air to feel like 105-plus in some areas)

NEW YORK — Summer's first heat wave is expected to keep the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states sizzling Wednesday.
The areas roasted Tuesday under unrelenting sun and many areas were putting up with a night in which temperatures in urban areas were failing to fall below 80 degrees.
The National Weather Service issued heat advisories for Wednesday ranging over a wide swath from Kentucky to Vermont. Hot temperatures and high humidity are expected to combine at oppressive, illness-causing heat-index levels, the service warned.
The heat index in several areas is expected to surpass 105 around the Baltimore-Washington, D.C. area, and over 100 in areas around southeastern Pennsylvania, New York City, northeastern New York state, western Massachusetts and central Vermont.
Tuesday as record-setting temperatures soared past 100 from Virginia to Massachusetts, utility companies cranked up power to the limit to cool sweating masses and railroad tracks were so hot commuter trains had to slow down.
It was also over 100 in cities from Richmond, Va., to Boston, and Providence, R.I., and Hartford, Conn., also set records.

I cannot sleep, breathe, go outside, stay inside, read, watch TV, stay clothed, or die.
Last night was miserable and my apartment doesn't have air conditioning. I moved my pitiful little fan to the head of my bed and stretched out, naked, in front of it for some relief, but when it's 90 degrees and 75% humid in your room at 3 AM, you kind of have to accept that you aren't going to sleep. And you're not getting any cooler, either, because rather than cool the air, your fan just circulates the drenching, oppressive heat. I spent time in Egypt last July and wasn't this uncomfortable, primarily because I could come home to a place with air conditioning. After attempting to pass the time by drifting into a semi-nap on my couch at six pm with every window open, I woke drowning in sweat. I ventured outside at around eleven, foolishily thinking that the dark might provide some relief. It didn't. I walked to the air-conditioned 24 hour pharmacy, wandered the aisles until people got suspicious, and stepped back into the choking darkness to wander home. My room doesn't feel any different than it does outside. And dressing modestly has never been more of an obstacle. Non-sheer shirts with sleeves and knee length shorts be darned--I want to be naked or almost naked. IT'S JUST THAT HOT. Even lab professionals are coming to work in flimsy barely-there dresses--not because it's cute, but because it's far too sticky to wear anything else.

RESCUE ME FROM THIS FIERY FURNACE!

No comments: