Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Immaturity.

In the spirit of free love, intellectualism, and fabled indie credibility, I took out Vladimir Nabokov's infamous novel, Lolita. Excited, I cracked the cover and perused the first page only to find myself having to force my way through ninety-nine more before I could in good faith let myself quit.
What can I say? I tried, right?

Call me immature, call me uncultured, tell me I am without any semblance of mental finesse, but I honestly could not take any more than a hundred pages of the delicate, elderly Humbert mewing for sexual favors from his thirteen-year-old protege. Bleh. Yes, it is as gross as it sounds--in fact, probably worse. And sure, the writing itself is fine, and whatever, I guess the novel is revolutionary in its way, blah blah blah one of the hundred best novels of the twentieth century, but to be completely honest I really cannot read it anymore (though I did manage to work it into an Evolutionary Psychology essay before I stopped).

Conclusion: I will voluntarily opt out of any possible indie cred available here BECAUSE I AM JUST GROSSED OUT, OKAY?

P.S.  Do not innocently Google "Lolita" for a blog picture, thinking that all that will come up is pictures of the book. Ew.

4 comments:

TexasRanger said...

Yeah. no worries about that indie cred. lolita's nasty on all sides.

p.s. remember how we rocked that arabic midterm?

Jessica Elysse said...

Heck yes I do! :-)

Angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

The annotated Lolita is one my course readings for my humanities exploration next quarter. Maybe the notes will help alleviate any gross-ness I experience. : )