Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Erasmus chiasmus.

I took my first class at BYU the summer before I entered as a student. It took place in room 250 of the Maeser building and our subject was fifteenth-century Florence. We picked apart Machiavelli and Erasmus, contrasting the former's The Prince with the latter's Education of a Christian Prince.

I took my last class at BYU (well, for eighteen months) the summer before I left on my mission. It took place in room 250 of the Maeser building and our subject was the biblical and classical origin of Western civilization. We ended the semester studying Machiavelli and Erasmus, and the bell rang to end my final class during a discussion of The Prince and Education of a Christian Prince.

Such serendipitous chiasmus lends poetic closure to my decision to take an eighteen-month break from my university education. I'll resume in spring 2013 at age 22.

Finals tomorrow, so I'd better get to the library. My goal is to end on a 4.0. :-)

No comments: