Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Daily.

Today I surgically separated both hind legs from a mouse fatally overdosed on Avertin, cleaned them of all fascia, snapped off the fibulae, separated the femurs from the tibias, centrifuged the bone marrow out of the long bones, cleaned and isolated the bone marrow cells, and plated them for live tissue culture at three different concentrations of cells per well, half with culture media spiked with glutamine and half without. I worked inside an impossibly sterile tissue hood with an air barrier and spray ethanol and diluted, mixed, and counted cells on a hemacytometer under a microscope before calculating cells per microliter and milliliters per well from trusty (if optimistic) formulae.

Did I mention I performed this experiment all by myself?
:-)

On my way home from work today it rained cats and dogs. I don't think I've ever had cause to use that expression before now, but its incredulity is comparable to that of this rain. I was soaked through in minutes as I waited at the T stop, shielding my hair with a purple umbrella that later betrayed me by turning inside out as I hurriedly boarded the bus. I laughed and laughed as the waves of angry wind and water rolled over me, drenching my umbrella and filling my shoes. I don't know what I found so funny. My hair looks like an old mop now.
I still have that huge canker sore on the very tip of my tongue and it's still torturing my life. As if I'm not quiet enough, let's add a speech impediment.

Word of the day: inchoate (in-KO-uht); imperfectly formed or formulated; a misty, inchoate idea

No comments: