Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Friday, August 21, 2009

Leyendo.

As usual, xkcd can describe my day better than I can: xkcd.com/294

Four hours at Barnes and Noble took me through "The Book of Lost Things" by John Connolly, a delightfully macabre narrative romp through the shadowy realm of the Brothers Grimm. David, a boy recently devastated by his mother's untimely death, embarks on an Alice-esque coming-of-age quest only to encounter a twisted all-star cast of folk tale villains along the way. Written for adults, this creative mythological survey will remind you why you hid your head under the covers during "Hansel and Gretel."



(Can you tell my mom's an endorsement editor? I've helped write pithy quotes for the backs of books for as long as I can remember.)



Yesterday in my bubble bath I finished "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath, the literary jewel of the woman for whom I've harbored a morbid three-year fascination. I'm familiar with most of her poetry, but hadn't picked up her iconic novel until the day after my return from Jerusalem. I'm glad I saved it until I turned nineteen (same age as protagonist Esther Greenwood); there were many instances of age-related resonance I felt privileged to share. Plath's imagery, too, functioned beautifully within its context--accurate without overstepping its boundaries.

2 comments:

Angela said...

I like it when you post about things you read. I just read The Bell Jar, too!

I'll be checking out The Book of Lost Things. :)

Becca Ricks said...

1. the bell jar is fantastic. glad you're reading it.
2. i too have spent the remainder of my summer reading in barnes and nobles.