Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Discovery.

TODAY I DISCOVERED SOMETHING AMAZING:

American Lit podcasts from 11th grade.

I sampled a few of them and couldn't help feeling my eyes get a little glossy (talk about unexpected). I listened to Mr. Ostenson explicate motifs in The Great Gatsby and tried to name the familiar young voices I heard making comments. It's been three years since junior English, but, listening to Mr. Ostenson again, I wish I were in a literature class with a professor half so thoughtful.

Here's a sample, verbatim:

"Bottom of 187? Thanks. They were careless people, Tom and Daisy. They smashed up things--which ought to connote a car accident, right? A smashing, a crashing--they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness--and by carelessness, that's a loaded word, because what might that mean? (Lee, tentatively: Carefree? Hyung, loudly: Bad driving.) It might mean they're carefree, that they have no responsibilities, no obligations. It also might mean that they don't emotionally care, right? Either one fits nicely with Tom and Daisy, but the key is, what affords them this carelessness? (Class: Money.) It's their affluence and their wealth, right? So here's a very biting class commentary with cars and driving..."

Awww. I don't often miss high school, but now I wish I could have just one last literature class with the old high school AP set.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Awww!! Where I might find these nostalgic gems?

Jessica Elysse said...

I actually found them on my family's computer, after sifting through mounds of old music files. Crazy! If you want them, I can try and figure out some way to send them to you!

Angela said...

Oooh....if it's convenient! I'm just curious. : )

And whoops-- might I *