Welcome.

안녕하세요!
مرحبا عليكم!

I study languages.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Vasovagal syncope.

Yesterday morning, I lost consciousness in public.
There's a first time for everything, right? ;)

I was at phlebotomy class, and this guy was practicing on my right median cubital vein. He tied the tourniquet, prepped the area, inserted the needle correctly, and popped the Vacutainer. Everything was going well, until he removed the needle with the Vacutainer still attached. Bad idea. My blood got vacuumed out of my vein and made a big pool in my antecubital fossa. It was dripping down my arm, dark and deoxygenated, and I was just sitting there waiting for him to fix it, which he did. After we cleaned up my blood (the guy apologizing profusely all the while) I went to stand up to watch the next group try. I was fine for a few minutes, but I started getting that sparkly feeling in my head and around the edges of my field of vision. I'm usually really good at fighting it off, but I hadn't had anything to eat or drink for over twelve hours, so it overcame me really quickly and I lost consciousness. I awoke on the floor, feeling like I'd slept for a very long time. I remember opening my eyes to the group of worried pre-phlebotomists, with my teacher quickly elevating my legs on a chair. I asked "Dude, did I pass out?" and tried to stand up, but everyone pushed me down so I wouldn't lose it again. Lying on the floor, I started giggling uncontrollably. I mean, the whole thing was just so funny! I actually passed out! I think everyone else thought I was psychologically overreacting, though, because no one laughed with me. After reassuring them that I really was all right, I got the story from my partner, to whom I was talking as I lost consciousness. He said I kind of kept talking and slumped forward, nearly hitting my head on the desk in front of me as I fell to the ground. I was apparently only out for a few seconds, but it felt like forever.

Maybe that's what we need to do to those poor doctors who work such long hours in residency...induce vasovagal syncope, and they'll feel like they've gotten a good night's sleep.

All in all, it was a great experience--almost euphoric, in a way.
I need to make sure it doesn't happen again, though--I don't want to undermine my credibility.

No comments: